Just in time for Valentines Day or anytime you want to show your dog or puppy your love for them, that is of course after a great dog walk, dog hike on Horth Hill looking for our very special new neighbours or even a positive training session.
These dog cookies are not only fun to make - but also make great gifts for the dog lover on Valentines Day.
Wrap them up in some parchment paper and tie with some pink twine (for the girlies) or place inside a nice old jar and tie with a piece of red twine (for the boys) and you have a sweet gift to go. This recipe makes about 30 dog cookies (depending on your cookie cutter size) and half this of course if you double them up to make sandwiches.
Usually, I prefer to leave them as singles as they keep longer, but this Valentines Day I am making a special batch for my Greyhound girlie and will spread the insides of the sandwiches with a bit of cream cheese mixed up with minced (unsweetened) cranberries. Sabrina has been especially good and she deserves something extra yummy!
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Prepare cookie sheet with a non-stick spray or parchment paper
INGREDIENTS AND SUPPLIES (use organic whenever possible)
- 1 cup flour (rice or wheat)
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup oats
- 1 tablespoon of fresh finely minced or grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 unsweetened/unflavoured yogurt
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 large egg
- If making sweetheart sandwiches you will need:
- Light cream cheese
- Finely minced unsweetened cranberries
- Toss all the dry ingredients into one bowl, mix and put aside (not cranberries)
- Put all the other ingredients into a bowl and mix well
- Add dry ingredients and mix up until you have a dough (not too much)
- Once well blended into a ball, lightly flour your work space and knead the ball of dough a few times. Roll out to no more than 1/4 inch in thickness and then cut into heart shapes. Be sure to press hard to have a clean cut!
- Place onto prepared baking sheet
- Baking time is approximate based on your oven and the size of your dog cookies but you can estimate about 12 to 15 minutes or just as soon as the dog cookies are looking all golden brown and yummy
- For sweetheart sandwiches - just mix up a bit of cream cheese with your already minced cranberries and spread the underside of the dog cookie and match up with the underside of another dog cookie. Make sure they are completely cooled down though. Love will soon be in the air in your kitchen.
Happy Valentines Day Sabrina!Love mommy 💓💓💓