|Training at the beach with Madeline's favourite training treat - salmon jerky|
It is very easy to overuse treats when training our young dogs.
Here are a few important tips to remember:
1. don't use treats/food, if praise or a cuddle will do.
2. don't use a correction device, if using your firm voice or body block will do.
3. wean off training tools so that you and your dog do not become dependent on them.
4. if using treats, be sure not to provide them every time your dog does what you have asked or your will inadvertently train them to expect that from you. This will likely effect their future learning and performance.
5. always ask your dog to do something for a treat, just a simple ask for a sit or a high-five reinforces both your position in your dog's life and a positive behaviour. And, everyone is happy.
6. remember to use high quality treats, such as a freeze dried liver brownie or salmon jerky (depending on what you dog likes or can tolerate). Stay away from sugar packed carrots and empty calories found in such treats such as Milkbones.
Lee, Madeline and Roman
Signature Pet Services is a by-appointment-only pet sitting company serving South Surrey and White Rock, British Columbia, specializing in loving and safe home-style dog boarding in our own home. Signature Pet Services also provides dog, puppy and cat sitting services. I invite you to check out our website (link above) or if you live locally give us a call at 604-818-7841.